Thursday, June 07, 2007

A Song in My Heart

Well, gang, the weather has been picture perfect these last few days. Got another squash blossom in and the breezes are mild. What's not to be happy about?

I just procured a mint copy of the Stan Boreson Trio's "I Love Seattle" / "Grateful Message" (Pledge of Allegiance). It's yellow vinyl. My daddy gave me a copy as a child, and the 45 RPM was always so dear to my heart. Somewhere along the line, I lost my original copy... so this new one is a welcome addition back into the fold.

Though it's scarcely a huge favorite in most American households, I adore chicken gizzards. My lunch for today features gizzards cooked down in a rich tomato sauce, which will then be tossed with fresh pasta. Topped with chopped chives (fresh from the garden, of course), I can't imagine anything that would better compliment this Thursday.

Speaking of noodles, the Old Spaghetti Factory in Hollywood will be closed down in two weeks. I personally recall it as the place where I had a foot-long hair in my Mizithra and brown butter pasta... but it also has deeper meaning. That's where the Cauliflower Alley Club had their weekly meetings for years. CAC founder Mike Mazurki, Maria Bernardi, Gene LeBell, Count Billy Varga and others really tore that place up. With the closing, a chapter of Los Angeles and wrestling history ends. So I'm going to take a few snapshots to remember the old girl before she goes off to eternal pasture.

My old friend Meg Schwemp, famous for the hit "Love in the Living Room," will be visiting this weekend for an old-time pluck and jam session. She still has it, for the record, and I could easily see her having a comeback. He new material is more modern than you ever would imagine.

Be well, my friends.