Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Back Here... Again

Note: This message is technically from yesterday... but I figured you wouldn't complain, considering my last post here was two years ago.
The past few days have been sad, uplifting, glorious and confusing. Then again, is anything less expected in my life?

First off, the wrestling world lost Portland icon Sandy Barr. Sandy was the main referee for promoter Don Owen when I watched Portland Wrestling/Big Time Wrestling, and would occasionally don the tights. He was a big part of what made me love Northwest wrestling.
I spoke with a few of Sandy's friends and wrestling brothers this weekend. All shared stories with me. This gave me a chance to hunker down with my old pal Playboy Buddy Rose for a time. It's sad that it takes something like a death to bring folks back together... but it certainly was fun chatting with Buddy again. It has been a while.

Buddy has his biography coming out later this summer, written by Matt Farmer. I know it will be sensational. Copies will be sold at Wrestle Fan Fest at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, October 18-21. Suffice to say I will be there, and I hope you will be, too.

Speaking of wrestling, Percy Pringle III's Gulf South Wrestling has closed down. In its place is Percy Pringle Promotions. Why was this done? Friends, everything has a reason... and this is all for the best, I can assure you of it.

Got a huge pile of vinyl this weekend. No matter what changes take place, I will never stop listening to my LPs. They are worth keeping folks, for the sound quality cannot be topped! New members of my hit parade: Samantha Sang, Nicolette Larson, Freddie Hart and others. And I got a sparkling copy of Melissa Manchester's solo debut. My word... she's just sensational. I have long regarded "Midnight Blue" as one of the great modern pop songs.

New summer albums of note: the return of Nick Lowe with At My Age. Nick is one of my total faves, and you can hear samples of this soon-to-be-released gem. The latest from Maroon 5, It Won't Be Soon Before Long, in my estimation will yield the biggest hits of the summer. I have a love-hate relationship with Rufus Wainwright, but I will plug his new album, Release the Stars, because real talent cannot be denied.

Okay, friends... I need to eat some eggs. Be well.